Tuesday, April 15, 2008

I felt the need to return to my own country

Well it was my first chance to get away since the transplant.

I felt the need to return to my own country, the place where I was from, and where after nearly 150 years my family still lives.

It was like touching bases again. Reconnecting the strings to things that were important. But also to join with them and celebrate the miracle of modern medicine and the arrival of Eric in my life.

Not before visiting the hospital in Geelong, the inevitable bloods followed by the review with the professor.

Once this was done I headed of, late morning towards Ballarat then on to the Pyrenees Ranges, red gum country, God's own.

Halfway there the mobile rings with a voice mail; bad news, the bloods are right off. Need to repeat, what a dilemna! A quick decision, "Do I abandon and return home?". No, I want this, I can work something out. It's the bloods they want and not necessaily to see me. I can do that in Ballarat in the morning, a quick 45 minute trip from where I would be staying the weekend. That's the compromise, that's what I will make work.

A quick lunch once past Ballarat and continue on my way. Familar territory, but it's skyline rudely interrupted by a huge new wind farm. Wow, that wasn't there before, but I suppose we can't have it both ways.

Ken's house where I grew up
[Photo: Og Bear]
I arrive at my brother's farm, the old house where I grew up and my parents loved and lived out there lives.

Ken looks great, good colour, good muscle, the best in years. His battle with melanoma is from the spirit within. He gave up the treatment for a bit of extra time as it was literally zapping what life he had away. Several years now and he looks the best. I have mixed feelings, a warmth, a joy within to see him winning, to have quality of life worth more than a poor life under the treatment he was having.

Ken, my brother is back riding his bike and looks the best he has in years
[Photo: Og Bear]
He is also excited about the work he is getting done around the farm, and we jump in his ute and go off to inpsect it and make a few repairs and adjustments.

He is participating in a government funded project to protect and improve natural waterways and will also make the farm more viable and manageable.

While out in the paddock I get a good signal and ring the Professor about the bloods. Yes, OK to do them in Ballarat in the morning, a small price to pay for getting away.

Ken's partner arrives back and we have tea and later turn in for the night.

The next morning I headed off to pathology in Ballarat and it was about 2 hours by the time I returned.

My favourite aunts who I often stay with
[Photo: Og Bear]
On arriving back I go down to the farm next door to visit my favourite aunts. My father and my aunts grew up here. I have often stayed there in the past. This is the house my grandfather built in the 1920s. He made the bricks, the tiles, everything.  The garden, though run down as a result of many years of drought, is huge. The whole place has a special feel and I love being amongst it.

I have spent much time here helping research the family history there.

My aunts' house where they grew up with my father
[Photo: Og Bear]
Chris, my sister at home
[Photo: Og Bear]
After lunch with my aunts I head off to see my sisters. Chris is at home cooking and is excited about the renovations she is doing to her house. We have always been close.  She was born not long after me and as I was critically ill as a baby, my first renal failure, we have alway been close.

Next, I was off to see Mags, my "baby" sister who recently bought a farm house adjoining her partner's farm. She feels very at home there as it is not unlike my brother's house that she grew up in.

My younger sister on the verandah of her house
[Photo: Og Bear]
It is very dry and the farm looks desperate from the prolonged drought. I have been quite shocked each time I have visited in the last few years and worry how bad it will be next time.

The mobile message comes through that all the bloods are good. I can relax.

I stay at Ken's again that night and head off the next morning. Bloods in Ballarat again then on to my appointment with the doctor at Geelong.

It was good to get away for the first time in 7 years without the need to dialyze hanging over my head or making my return to do so urgent. It was good with the help of Eric to be free.

[Og Bear]

For more photos go to:
http://picasaweb.google.com/OgBear/IFeltTheNeedToReturnToMyOwnCountry#

For a slideshow go to:
https://picasaweb.google.com/OgBear/IFeltTheNeedToReturnToMyOwnCountry#slideshow/

No comments:

Post a Comment